Hello readers and writers and everyone in between! It’s Sunday. The day for us all to be lazy. Which is why this post is a mid day post. I actually had trouble deciding what I was going to post today. Then I decided I needed to set some goals!
Mainly goals for my writing. I haven’t written much of anything lately and it’s actually driving me a little crazy. I know that when I write I am in a better mood. I have said this time and again, yet I don’t listen to my own advice. There is something therapeutic about my fingers dancing across the keyboard, creating words, putting together sentences, and bringing things from my imagination to a form where I can share it with the world.
Then, I let the world in and I become afraid that I will never be as good as the greats (Ex. Stephen King). I’m afraid I will be laughed at and ridiculed. That I will be the author that other authors point out how horrible my writing is. How I should have taken classes or written more before I published. My biggest fear is Stephen King, some how coming across my book and using it to fuel the fire in his fireplace after reading the first chapter. Silly, I know. Isn’t that why we are writers though? Our imaginations run away with us.
Because of my lack of writing I have decided to set a few ground rules/goals for myself. And as I typed that last sentence I let something on my desk grab my attention in an effort to procrastinate.
Let’s get on to the goals for the rest of this month!
- Write everyday! On the big project that I have going. The re-write of my book that I have been working on for 8 years now. Ugh.
- Post everyday! I’m tired of seeing little gaps in my posting activity report. I hate it! Especially since I went 4 months straight (basically) posting every day. What happened to that drive? What happened to that girl?? (Look at how sad December looks!)
- Read more articles and columns about writing.
- Finally go through my Writers Market 2015 book and find contest and things that I can enter to push myself.
- Stop letting stupid things get in the way of my dreams!
I can do this. I know I can. I can finish this novel, finally. I can find an editor to help me polish it up and make it better. I will find a great, inexpensive, cover artist. I will make my dreams happen. I’m still not sure if I want to go the traditional route, or take the self-publishing route again. There are so many advantages to self-publishing, but I am horrible at self-promotion! But I can figure all that out when I am finally happy with my manuscript!
What are your goals for this month? It can be writing goals, reading goals, or just life goals. Give them to me!