I have been without a job for 14 weeks now. It sucks. I should have all this time to do the things that I love, but I ended up being too depressed to even get out of bed.
Slowly, I have worked my way out of my bed and I have plans in place. Plans that will get me back to working and away from dealing with the unemployment office. It’s a process and I am trying really hard.
If you have never had to draw unemployment then you may not know of all the hassle that comes with it. I honestly don’t see how people are okay with staying on unemployment for so long. Let me tell you about the process in a list…because I love making list!
- You lost your job, go apply for unemployment. You can do this online, but make sure you have all kinds of paperwork with you.
- If you were laid off, unemployment is supposed to start immediately. Unless the system is clogged up with others trying to get money from the government and you will have to wait 4 weeks at least anyways.
- Start recieving your weekly check that is not even half of what you were making at the job you just lost.
- Call all the people you owe money to and pray that they can work with you to get your bills paid. You probably have really awesome credit because of the job that you lost and you don’t want to mess that up.
- Go on the the job website run by the state every week and apply to at least one job. Now, you have to apply for at least 4 jobs a week, but one is required through the state website. Let’s pretend they offer really awesome jobs that are exactly what you want to do with your life and not crap jobs that make no sense.
- Every few months you go into the office and show them a list of all the jobs you applied for, answer questions about how hard you are working to find a job. Be told how you can make yourself better and basically be condemned because you haven’t found a job yet.
Basically, unemployment is a job itself. I have filled out so many applications it’s not even funny. Seriously! You should get paid to fill them out. They ask so many questions. I miss the days when you just fill out a simple application that ask for past jobs and a few references. Now you are having to fill out a psych evaluation. At least that’s what it feels like.
Last week I put in a ton of applications at the mall. Add that excitement to my current fight with depression, I forgot that I HAD to apply for a job through the state website. I just wasn’t thinking.
I got a call this morning saying that my benefits had been canceled because I forgot to apply for one job ONE week. I could understand if it was two weeks. Not one…shouldn’t there be some kind of grace period? Come on, give me a break! It’s not like I am sitting at home doing nothing. Of course, I know some people would just sit at home doing nothing. Sometimes it’s just a bother being a good, honest person.
Forgive me for my rant.